Frequently Asked Questions
Information for entering the residential treatment center at New Roads Behavioral Health
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU TO NEW ROADS
The bolded items are required. The not bolded items are optional.
- Towels /Bath and Pool
- Clothes (Include winter and summer wear)
- Clothes appropriate for outdoor winter activities such as skiing
- Open shirts, swimwear, etc. are allowed only for recreational and fitness activities and are considered inappropriate for therapy, meals, or meetings. Please do not bring form-fitting clothing, including Lycra tights or biking or running shorts. No low-cut tops, blouses with spaghetti straps, or tank tops. Bare midriffs are unacceptable. Jeans and clothing must not have suggestive tears or cutouts.
- Dress for therapy should be casual and in good taste. Clothing that depicts alcohol, drugs, sex, violence, gambling, or sports teams (or any clothing deemed inappropriate by staff) is not allowed.
- Bathing suits for women must be one-piece, without high-cut legs or revealing tops. Bathing suits for men must be the boxer-type.
- We recommend that you bring a limited amount of clothing (limit 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on). Laundry facilities, including supplies, are available for client use. Irons and ironing boards are accessible, but we suggest that wash-and-wear clothing will be more convenient.
- Lightweight jackets and sweaters are recommended for evenings year-round. A heavier coat or jacket is recommended for winter months
- Alarm clock
- School supplies
- Shower caddy including shampoo and soap
- Small amount of spending money = up to $500 (we hold onto this for you)
- Some personal art or decor
- Personal Toiletries (Toothbrush/Toothpaste, Razor/Shaving Cream, Shampoo, Etc).
- Reading Material
- Driver’s License or photo ID, and Insurance information
- At least one month’s supply of the medications you are taking
- Music devise that does not have wifi capability such as an ipod nano
PROHIBITED ITEMS (DO NOT BRING TO NEW ROADS)
- Expensive jewelry or large amounts of money
- Inappropriate clothing – no two piece swim suits/Speedos, no see through, seductive or revealing clothing ; spaghetti straps to be worn only as undergarments, shorts should be no shorter than a 4” inseam
- Items with SD, propyl, methyl or ethyl alcohol in high concentration where those alcohols are listed the first 2 ingredients in a product (i.e. fingernail polish remover is prohibited)
- Alcohol based mouthwash
- Razor blades (disposable safety razors allowed)
- Over the counter medications
- Non-prescription vitamins, herbs, or supplements
- Any mood altering substance or paraphernalia
- Weapons (firearms, ammunition, knives, mace, etc…)
- Scissors (other than for grooming)
- Flammable items (such as, candles, incense, lighter fluid, etc)
- Pornographic, inflammatory, or violent literature or depictions including emblems, decorations, or quotations on clothing that alludes to sex, violence, Satanism, drug or alcohol
- No more than 3 books/magazines to read (must be appropriate for treatment, i.e. no pornographic materials, etc.)
- Any food or beverage (no food or beverages other than water are allowed in patient rooms, patients are provided appropriate dietary needs during treatment which includes snacks)
COMMUNICATION & VISITATION
Upon entering treatment there is a 14 day communication “blackout” for all clients. This time must be used to begin the focus on self that begins the rehabilitation process. New Roads staff is available to answer questions that family members may have. Please feel free to contact us. 888-358-8998